Universities’ China Committee in London (UCCL) currently offers UCCL Grants for China-based scholars who seek to make research visits to the UK, and for British-based scholars who seek to make research visits to China.
- China-based scholars (in any discipline in the arts, sciences or social sciences) who seek to make China-focused research visits to the UK, or British-based scholars working on relevant subjects at UK universities and wishing to undertake visits to China for specific China-related research or lecture reasons.
- The grants are normally given to those studying for PhDs or equivalent, postdoctoral and early career researchers.
- Grants can also be made to those on the Academic Staffs of UK or Chinese Universities, who otherwise comply with the UCCL criteria.
- Grants are given to cover flights and modest living expenses, plus occasionally academic and research costs, but only if no other source is available.
- Grants to attend academic conferences in China and the UK will only be entertained where conferences have a particular China-related focus, and if the applicant has been invited to speak or take a leading role on the panel or similar. Only scholars from China who are currently studying at, or on the academic staff of, a university in China may apply for support to attend conferences in the UK.
- Grants are also available for the promotion and teaching of Chinese and other Chinese studies in the UK.
- China is deemed to mean the whole of the People’s Republic of China, including Hong Kong, but not Taiwan.
Guidelines for costing
In considering applications for grants, the UCCL will use the following guideline costs (2020):
- Return flights – Up to £900 from London/Beijing return.
- Food/accommodation – Up to £90/day in UK and £70/day in China for academic staff on short visits. £45/day for students wanting to stay longer.
- Conference, registration costs – Flat fee of £100.
- Visa – Flat fee of £200.
For more information and to download the application form please visit: gbcc.org.uk/educational-grants/universities-china-committee-in-london-uccl.