BACS MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION
REGISTERED CHARITY NO 273023
Founded in 1976, the British Association for Chinese Studies exists to promote the study in Britain of China and the Chinese diaspora and to inform members of current events in the field. BACS consists of academics, students, journalists, civil servants, volunteers and many other categories of members who are committed to the study of China. BACS is supported primarily by its income from membership fees, plus occasional grants for specific projects from UK sources (in particular we are very grateful for support from the Universities China Committee in London for this website). BACS is politically non-partisan and dedicated to supporting accurate, objective and impartial scholarship related to China. Anyone interested in supporting China Studies in Britain is encouraged to join. If you require further infomation contact the BACS Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of BACS' activities include:
- Annual Conference
- Annual Bulletin mailed to all members with news of the field from UK universities
- On-line news dissemination via BACS@jiscmail.ac.uk
- Newsletter of the China Postgraduate Network
- Affiliation with China Library Group, European Association for Chinese Studies (EACS), the American Association for Asian Studies, the Council for Area Studies and other related Asia organisations.
- Advice and information to students, teachers and schools on courses, funding and jobs in the field.
- Lobbying government and other national bodies on behalf of Chinese studies.
Current annual membership rates are:
|Members over 60
|Student and unwaged
To apply, please fill out the on-line application form accessed via the link below. Please note this may produce an error message: ignore this, do not resubmit. If you do not hear after a week please contact us again. Send the Treasurer a cheque for the appropriate amount made payable to the 'British Association for Chinese Studies' or email for a Standing Order form which the Treasurer will be pleased to send you (requires a UK bank account). The current BACS Treasurer's name and address are:
Dr. Julian Ward, Treasurer, British Association for Chinese Studies (BACS) c/o Asian Studies,The University of Edinburgh, 8 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9LW - email: email@example.com
Renewing and returning members do not need fill out the form, just send your cheque to the address above, and indicate a change of address if applicable.